8:00 – 8:30
Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 8:45
- Nancy J Kelley, JD/ MPP, President & CEO, Nancy J Kelley + Associates and Founding Member, Builds BIO+
- Mitchel W. Simpler, Managing Partner Emeritus, JB&B, Founding Member, Builds BIO+
8:45 – 9:00
Keynote: A Future of Innovation Founded on an Illustrious Past
- Kevin B. Mahoney, MBA, Chief Executive Officer, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Perelman School of Medicine
9:00 – 9:40
The Science Driving Innovation and Commercialization
This session will include a panel of scientists from Philly institutions, moderated by a leading scientist, and will explore the recent and next generation of technologies that are emerging from Philly institutions, driven by increasing NIH funding levels to Philadelphia institutions. The panel will also explore how science can differentiate Philadelphia from other major life science clusters such as Boston, San Francisco and the Greater NYC Metro area.
- Todd J. Kilbaugh, MD, Endowed Chair of Translational Science and Innovation, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and Medical Director, EMCO Center at CHOP
- Alan W. Flake, MD, FACS, FAAP, Chair, Pediatric General, Thoracic and Fetal Surgery at Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia and Director; CHOP Center for Fetal Research
- Dario C. Altieri, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Wistar Institute and Director, Ellen and Ronald Caplan Cancer Center; Professor, Immunology, Microenvironment & Metastasis Program
- Aleister J. Saunders, PhD, Executive Vice Provost for Research & Innovation and Professor, Department of Biology, Drexel University
- Stephen G. Nappi, Associate Vice President, Technology Commercialization and Business Development, Temple University
9:40 – 10:20
Funding Fuels Innovation: What Drives VC Investment?
This session will explore the unprecedented growth in venture capital investment in the Philadelphia region with a panel of VCs, moderated by a VC that will explore what is fueling the increase and where is it going? What kinds of companies are the VCs looking for?
- Dean Miller, President & CEO, Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (PACT) and Managing Director, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine Innovation Fund
- Anurag Agarwal, Principal, Life Science, Osage University Partners
- Scott Nissenbaum, President & CEO, Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern PA and Managing General Partner, Global Opportunity Philadelphia Fund
- Matt Plevelich, Principal for Healthcare Strategy, NewSpring Capital
10:20 – 10:40
10:40 – 11:20
Nurturing Innovation with Incubators and Accelerators
There are a number of new and existing incubators and accelerators in the Philadelphia region that are growing new companies, creating jobs and expanding the life science footprint in Philadelphia. This panel will introduce a number of them, explore what programs they offer and how they are fueling innovation and commercialization.
- Louis P. Kassa, III, MPA, Chief Executive Officer, Baruch S. Blumberg Institute and PA Biotechnology Center
- Melina Blees, PhD, Site Director, BioLabs Philadelphia
- Tracy Brala, Senior Vice President, Strategy and Partnerships, University City Science Center
- Anthony P. Green, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, Ben Franklin Technology Partners
- Sharon R. Clinton, SHRM-CP, Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer, HelaPlex
- Katie Reuther, PhD, MBA, Executive Director, Penn Health-Tech and Practice Associate Professor in Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
11:20 – 11:35
Keynote: Celebrating Life Science Success with Revolutionary Life Science Treatments
The second keynote of the symposium will be given by a senior executive from one of the successful companies, like Spark Therapeutics, putting Philadelphia on the map.
- Eric Hacherl, PhD, Vice President, Head of Manufacturing, Spark Therapeutics
11:35 – 12:15
Commercial Opportunities for Life Sciences in Philly
This session will feature three or four mature life science companies, all of whom have received venture backing and one of which is publicly traded. Speakers will discuss the unique life science real estate requirements that stem from the unique science they are pursuing or products developed. The challenges of finding appropriate life science space and the competitive pressures from surrounding life science clusters will also be discussed.
- Anthony P Sorrentino, Assistant Vice President, Office of the Executive Vice President, University of Pennsylvania
- Jessica Lee, MS MPH, Clinical Science and Operations, Spirovant Sciences
- Karen Griffith Gryga, Chief Operating Officer, Biomeme
- Tia Lyles-Williams, DSc, Founder & Chief Executive Officer, LucasPye BIO
- Rose Oskanian, VP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Vitara
12:15 – 1:00
1:00 – 1:30
How Does Philly Stack Up?
This session will include a panel of brokers discussing the size of the Philadelphia market for life science space and the direction it is moving in. The discussion will also include a description of what life science companies are looking for in space requirements and what is their need.
- Lauren Gilchrist, Managing Director, Research, Longfellow Real Estate Partners
- Travis McCready, Head of Life Sciences, Industries Americas, JLL
- Ian Anderson, Senior Director of Research, CBRE
- Neil Brazitis, Senior Managing Director, Newmark Knight Frank
- Clifford Brechner, Vice President, Greater Philadelphia Region Life Science Practice Group, Colliers International
1:30 – 2:15
Commercial Opportunities for Life Science Real Estate in Philly and The Surrounding Environs
This session will explore a number of leading life science developments in the City center, outer City limits and the suburban market.
- Jennifer Manning, MPA, Senior Vice President, Global Strategic Partnerships, The Center for Breakthrough Medicines
- John Grady, Senior Vice President, Northeast Region Executive at Wexford Science & Technology; City Square
- Anthony Maher, Partner/ President at University Place Associates
- George Skillin, Senior Vice President and Head of Engineering, EHS, Spark Therapeutics
- Louis P. Kassa, III, MPA, Chief Executive Officer, Baruch S. Blumberg Institute and PA Biotechnology Center in Bucks County
- Jamie Rash, Regional Director, Keystone, The Curtis
- Joseph Corcoran, Senior Vice President, MLP Ventures Group (The Discovery Labs)
- Nelson Way, Director, Leasing and Development, Ensemble Real Estate Investments
2:15 – 2:40
What Challenges Does Philly Life Science Face? City and State Incentives: What Needs to be Done?
This session will discuss the challenges Philly faces in the continued expansion and growth of its life science sector, as well as how the City and State can more strongly support its growth and development through new incentive programs.
- Claire Greenwood, MS, Executive Director, CEO Council for Growth, & SVP, Economic Competitiveness at The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia
- Stephen Wray, Senior Vice President and Principal, Econsult Solutions, Inc.
- Sam Woods Thomas, Senior Director of Business Development, Philadelphia Department of Commerce
2:40 – 2:55
- Stephan A Grupp, MD, PhD, Section Chief of the Cellular Therapy and Transplant Section, Director of the Cancer Immunotherapy Program and Medical Director of the Cell and Gene Therapy Laboratory, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
2:55 – 3:00
Conclusion and Next Steps
- Symposium Steering Committee